Pendleton West

In the spring of 2017, Wellesley College celebrated the completed renovation of the west wing of Pendleton Hall, designed by Charles Klauder in 1934, and Paul Rudolph’s Jewett Arts Center (1958). Wellesley’s objective was to update the buildings, create choral and orchestral space, and add dedicated, appropriate studios for its burgeoning media and visual arts programs. Kieran Timberlake piloted the gut renovation and 10,000-square-foot addition that integrates the desired classrooms, studios, and rehearsal and performance spaces. Marguerite Rodgers provided the complimentary interiors designed to reflect the woodland campus. Wood-clad surfaces are a unifying element, a rustic juxtaposition to the crisp red fabric ceilings and a warm contrast to the board-formed concrete walls. The elegant, meditative spaces promote creative dialogue and cross-disciplinary collaboration, emphasizing individual artistic practice as well as communal experiences.

  • Architecture: KieranTimberlake
  • Photography: Michael Moran / OTTO and Bob O’Connor Photography