Rodeph Shalom

Founded in 1795, Rodeph Shalom is the oldest Ashkenazic congregation in the Western Hemisphere. The Byzantine revival synagogue, designed by Simon & Simon in 1928, is located in Center City and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Marguerite Rodgers has been involved with updates to the interior over the course of nearly three decades. The most recent intervention, in collaboration with Kieran Timberlake, has been the most extensive. The two firms collaborated to provide more meeting and gathering space, an art gallery, and connectivity between the new and existing spaces, all while being sensitive to the historic fabric of the structure. The architectural and interior objective for the addition was to create a welcoming and contemporary character using forms and materials that harmonize with the existing building. The new Community Room is a highlight. Clad in 18-foot-high channel glass panels, the space is flooded with natural light during the day. At night, the channel glass is illuminated, rendering the building a beacon on the corner of Broad and Green Streets. 

  • Architecture: KieranTimberlake
  • Photography: James Ewing Photography and Halkin | Mason Photography
  • Lighting Design: Sean O’Connor Lighting